Painting a maritime scene from a photo taken in Nova Scotia. In this class project, we learned how to take a photograph and arrange and compose it to make a better painting.
The photo came from a friend of our teacher’s. The problems that were pointed out were:
- the boat is leaving the picture, which will take the viewer’s eye out of the frame
- the image is split in half
- it’s too busy with all the boats trailing the fishing trawler
- we want the point of main interest to be on one of vertices of the 3×3 grid
I did a few thumbnails on my own to get a feel for how I wanted the painting to look. I really wanted to have a lighthouse in there on the end of land.
Not being completely sure of the thumbnail I chose, I made a colour study in a painting journal just to get a feel for the final painting.
Mask (frisket) applied
I wanted to keep several areas paper white: the boat, the lighthouse, plus their reflections, and the houses on the land.
Major work complete
All work complete
added a mat
Materials and Notes
Journal: Kilimanjaro natural white paint book, 140lb paper interleaved with writing paper, 5.5 x 10 inch, spiral bound. These are really cool, every watercolour paper leaf is interleaved with a piece of sketch paper. This came in quite handy doing the thumbnails on the sketch page facing the colour study.
Arches Aquarelle watercolour single sheet, 140lb cold press, 9 x 12 inch. The standard.
For this painting, I stuck almost entirely to the triad of:
- Rose Madder Genuine
- Raw Sienna
- Cobalt Blue
Addtionally, I used a couple other colors:
- Sap Green
- Quin Burnt Orange
- Chromatic Black (French Ultramarine and Quin Burnt Orange mixed)
- Dreamcatcher #10
- Dreamcatcher #4
- Kolinsky Sable #2